Well it's almost that time again, time to eat, drink, eat, be merry and eat. I thought, to get everyone in the Thanksgiving spirit, I would post a few Thanksgiving fun facts.
Did you know..........................
- Fossil evidence shows that turkeys roamed the Americas 10 million years ago.
- Thomas Jefferson thought the concept of Thanksgiving was "the most ridiculous idea I’veever heard."
- Here's one of the most unbelievable Thanksgivng facts: The Guinness Book of Records states that the greatest dressed weight recorded for a turkey is 39.09 kg (86 lbs), at the annual "heaviest turkey" competition held in London, England on December 12, 1989.
- More than 40 million green bean casseroles are served on Thanksgiving. (Maybe try out another side dish this year.)
- The different nicknames for Thanksgiving Day: “Turkey Day” (after the traditional Thanksgiving dinner), “T-Day” (an abbreviation of either “Thanksgiving Day” or “Turkey Day”), “Macy’s Day (this is exclusive to New York City – it is a reference to the Macy’s Day Parade), “Yanksgiving” (Canadians sometimes call the Thanksgiving in the US as “Yanksgiving” to distinguish it from the Canadian Thanksgiving holiday.)
- The First Thanksgiving lasted for three days. (ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!! I WOULD EXPLODE!)
- Here's one of those funny Thanksgiving facts: Turkeys have heart attacks. When the Air Force was conducting test runs and breaking the sound barrier, fields of turkeys would drop dead.
- A spooked turkey can run at speeds up to 20 miles per hour. They can also burst into flight approaching speeds between 50-55 mph in a matter of seconds. (Granted it doesn't have a heart attack first)